Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Monday, October 25, 2004

My intention is that this journal be more than weekly. Last week wound up terribly busy, however, if I remember correctly.

Thanks to Chris Estey for some interesting comments on my last post (on the livejournal version, however...go here if you're reading this elsewhere). I always love comments.

Now Playing: Elvis Costello, When I Was Cruel

Elvis Costello one of my landlord's favorites. Well, our landlord is actually a couple. How many people are lucky enough to have a landlord with whom he can talk about Cure albums and decent films?
We went over to their place Friday night, it's just a few blocks away. Super layout and decor. You can tell they're art, film, theatre, music aficianados. We made friends with their nervous little chihuahua (that thinks it's a terrier), Kafka. Ate wonderful food. Talked for hours.

My new computer came last week. I feel a bit more myself again, an admission I'm not necessarily proud of. We realized we'll probably need to save up for a new computer so Stacey can play Sims 2 while I'm doing whatever it is I do all the time. Some of what I do is getting everything together for our church's bookstore, a brand new duty for me. I'm also getting set to review a new Smiths tribute record, new albums by Hidden Cameras and Papercuts. I'm also writing something I'm not sure how to describe...so I won't.

This morning I woke up and my left shoulder holds a strange ache. My whole arm feels simultaneously sore and weak and tight. I was just trying to flip papers while stamping them and it bothered me. That side area of my neck feels less than good and somehow related as well.

Please, God, just let this election be over soon. I actually don't hate politics -- I think many people just dismiss politics as some broad subject that only a certain circle of people get into and care about and are affected by while in reality it's a euphemism for the everyday decisions that end up shaping culture, life, death, so many things. Anyway, elections are terrible anymore. Posturing is inevitable but the lies, deceptions, distortions are just as damaging as any policy anyone's made. Anymore, elections are like walking into a dark alley and getting to choose who will mug/beat/violate/wreck you. I still deep down think that "it does matter, it really does!" but only because one of the candidates is particularly horrifying. In the interest of brevity and getting work done today, not to mention making myself even more irritable and preoccupied than I already am...that's enough ranting for now.

This morning I've felt a strong desire to listen to Who's Next. That will probably be followed by Love's Forever Changes.

If you're in or near Omaha, contact me about a Halloween party we might possibly have this weekend. We decided this past weekend to have one, but then both of us hit apathetic stretches and any conversation about it became an "I don't care" exchange. Hopefully tonight we'll have more details...the party will PROBABLY be on Saturday night...I think we're going to see Richard Buckner and Damien Jurado on Friday night (and so should you!). If the World Series is still going I'll probably be rude and have it on in another room. Those are really the only details I know so far so if you want to come and have any creative input ideas then by all means toss them at me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home