Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Today's post will no doubt be saturated with the banality I find myself surrounded by. See, I even ended my first sentence with a preposition. I write my own scandals.

One of the Omaha area's nearly unknown jewels is Alvarado's, a Mexican restaurant with two locations. Both look like bombed-out Taco Bells. The 90th & Maple site is generally nowhere near where we are so we end up going to the one just across the river in Council Bluffs. Alvarado's offers not just tasty but hefty portions for a good price, 5+ bucks for a platter with entree, beans and rice. The Omaha Pulp (local weekly rag) usually has a coupon for a buy one, get one half off deal. The Council Bluffs location also has the Ms. Pacman arcade game and both are open 24 hours. I mention all this because right now I'm craving their food, though I'd settle for a 7 layer burrito from Taco Bell. Every time we go to Alvarado's (and for a couple months, it was about once a week -- always carryout) I end up eating way too much. Last time I swore I'd only eat half next time but I'm not sure if I trust myself enough tonight.

Last night our priest, Fr. Stephen, and his wife came over so he could do a "house blessing." We had a wonderful time...after the short blessing ceremony (which consists of prayers and psalms) we had some orange cheesecake Stacey made and drank a little coffee, drank a little wine. He's retiring...in fact, his last regular Sunday liturgy is this coming Sunday. He and his wife will still be living in the area but will "disappear" for a few months once the new priest is officiating. I agree with Fr. Stephen that now is as right a time as ever for him to retire but I'll miss him greatly.

The rest is even more boring. I'll spare you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home