Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Tuesday, April 15, 2003

By the way, thank you to those who comment. You have no idea how much I love comments. I'm not sure what my deal is, but I do, so thank you!

Lately I've been digging quite a bit on some of the rock bands from the 1960's, mostly British. A few of the folks I'm enjoying are The Zombies, The Animals, The Association, those sorts of bands. I'm mixing a good bit of other of that sort of thing in, too -- dashes of Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Yardbirds...nothing too obscure but great stuff nonetheless.

True Work Story:
The other day I was in the break room with one of our grad assistants. He was looking at our university's job listings sheet. He made a sarcastic comment to the effect of "wow, these are some great jobs" and said something about how lousy the pay was or something. Having just looked at the job listings a few minutes before, I informed him that half of them pay more than mine and the other ones were just below where I was (well, after having received my yearly raise last summer). He got a very shocked look on his face and said something like "wow...that's not very good...i'm sorry...that's all you get for everything you do?" I actually laughed about it and told him that's why I tend to mumble to myself a lot at my desk.
This is why I'm busting my ass to finish college. I don't really care how much money I earn, but it would be nice to be either more fairly compensated for the shit I put up with and take care of or else at least be in a position where I would be doing the world some good through it. Sure, for right now I'm not necessarily getting the time or opportunity to do some of the things I'd like to do, but if all goes well I'll be graduating in just over a year and this craziness will have been worth it. Also then I can call out my haters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home