Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Monday, May 24, 2004

Welcome to another week, dear friend(s).

A long long long time ago I went to a county fair to hear a young girl sing. Her live show consisted of lots of old-timey country type music, even bluegrass. After the show I decided to pick up her CD and support what I hoped was just one youngster poised to help usher in a better era of country music than the Western World was currently experiencing. I even stood in line to get her to autograph it. The CD, of course, was a huge disappointment, full of bland generic love/loss songs with little imagination. I listened to it once or twice and then put it away.
She wasn't a star then but soon become one. Her youth and her voice won her acclaim. The years went on and rather than help country music rediscover its roots, she helped steer the wagon more and more into the Adult Contemporary realm...bland "lite" schmaltzy "rock" only as country as the twang in the voice.
For some reason (sheer laziness, basically) I never sold the CD or gave it away despite the fact that its presence in a box somewhere wherever I happened to be living at the time ate away at my credibility, even if no one knew it. "It might be worth something someday," I thought, my packrat mentality afraid to let it go, beating out even my indie rock pride. After all, it wasn't released on a major (or even heard-of) label so perhaps to someone somewhere it would be a collector's item.
In preparing for an upcoming wedding-related move, I've been trying to clean out the basement and get rid of all excess. On a whim I put the CD up on eBay. Just for fun, I set a "buy it now" price of $40. Less than two days later, it's sold at $40. If LeAnn Rimes were a major star (or perhaps she is now and I just don't know about it), I'd understand...but I didn't think anyone was listening anymore.
For a couple hours I was pretty proud of myself and happy about $40. Then I looked at things in perspective and realized that this past weekend I spent over $30 just to fill my gas tank.

DPB:
Mr. President:
According to our files, no one has messed with Texas in the past year. Mission Accomplished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home