Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Thursday, April 22, 2004

Thanks for reading my self-gratifying rambles.
Yesterday turned out to be pretty busy so my boss did the Secretaries' Day stuff for me today. She brought in a white chocolate raspberry cake or something from Wild Oats and gave me a gift certificate to Wild Oats inside a crazy-looking card with a lizard on it. Yesterday for lunch I went outside and listened to the second half of the poetry reading put on for National Poetry Month. I heard some great new stuff and, of course, the obligatory reading of "The Raven." Late yesterday afternoon my Culture of the 60's professor emailed me and asked to do a presentation on the beat poets for class tonight so I ended up getting all that together last night. I hope to one day teach on all this in the classroom someday so I'm very grateful for the opportunity and should have quite a bit of fun. I hate public speaking but I enjoy sharing and teaching. While preparing I realized both how many books in that realm I already have but also how many more I would love to have. Jeff let me borrow a few that I plan to eventually purchase and add to my collection. I owe quite a bit to Dr. Michael Skau's amazing "Beats & Hippies" literature class and can't really discuss any of this without mentioning how influential his teaching has been on me, both in learning material and in learning how to write about it. I still have so far to go but can honestly say I've come a long way in the past year and a half thanks to Drs. Skau, Latchaw, Maher and others. Anyway, thanks to all of you for reading these brief blurbs. I'm hoping for something more creative once summer opens up a few evenings a week for work on more substantial posts.

Today's DPB:
Mr. President:
We appreciate your "take-charge," "can-do" attitude but your staff exists for a reason. Certain situations are best left to those more properly trained and capable of performing those tasks. Your position as President of the United States requires you to be at full capacity at all times and as a result, we feel it is in your best interest to leave trivial details and responsibilities to better equipped staff members. No one could have foreseen the stapler tragedy of 4/11 but our investigation reveals that your injuries would have been avoided had you contacted one of your staff member, some of whom were on duty just a room or two away. Thank you for your future cooperation in this matter and others of similar nature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home