Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Friday, May 30, 2003

I like to eat my pizza backwards. Not because of a cheese-filled crust; I rarely eat that kind. The thing is, I don't like the crust too much so I'd rather get that over with...

As socially backwards as I am, I admit I really really enjoy the sense of community I get by being recognized and having actual conversations with people in places I go often.
At the Antiquarium (the Record Shop part), there's the older gentleman with whom I always talk baseball and music. He's even more opinionated and musically snobbier than Horton, if that means anything. I love our discussions. He and I hung out for a while at a show (the same show I'll mention in a sentence or two, actually). The guy in his early 20's who actually does the ordering for their store is becoming an acqaintance now, as well. I just saw his band play last weekend--The Bombardment Society--they're pretty good.
At Homer's (another local record shop, surprise), I don't know names too well, but there are people who greet me "Hi, Joel" and probably groan when I walk in. There's this weird thing going on there where they'll look up a record and tell me they have it, but neither I nor the personnel can actually find the record.
MJ Java is the coffee shop across the street. They see regulars all day long, no doubt, but I'm still in like Flynn.
The grocery store deli department. I tend to be at the deli department at my favorite local grocer's fairly often. I'm usually vegetarian but I'll admit to the occasional fried chicken binge, and of course I get mine there. I swear I'm trying to stop because I always feel so guilty. Anyway, they also have various vegetable and veggie pasta salads there, and that's a big draw. I'm also a potato salad freak (and snob) and that's my place to get it. There are several people who recognize me, but there are mainly 2. Dennis is the one I see the most. Earlier this week I asked to sample some Southern Potato Salad that was on sale. He scooped me a sample, but then scooped a sample of another kind (that okay, wasn't on sale) to compare it with and said outright that the Southern was pretty lousy in comparison to the other kind. He was right and I got the other kind, though I don't totally remember the name of it. The other person there is this girl (I don't remember her name at all) who greeted me earlier this evening and said "haven't seen you in a while, it's good to see you hear again" and I explained I just must not have been in when she was. She said she just graduated high school, though, so I'm guessing she's been busy. I don't think she's really helped me all that often, but there was a day when a couple customers had been rude to her during a pretty busy period and so after she helped me, I told her I appreciated the good job. The smile told me it made her night and she's been really sweet ever since. With Dennis it's been a more drawn out getting to know each other, though I praise him regularly too. He tends to have customers get a bit rough with him, too (I think partly because of his mannerisms and ambiguous sexual orientation) and so I've made sure to say some good things to him to make up for their impoliteness. I'm not just praising people emptily, because they do a really good job over there. In fact, I've even told a manager that they do a good job and mention them by name.

Anyway, I have no idea what brought this on except that I think it shows that sometimes people like to be appreciated. I mean, seriously, if someone is trying to do a good job and make me, the customer happy, they should know that I notice that and be praised for it. People in service jobs, whether they enjoy them or not, take a lot of crap from people and put in a lot of hours for not really a whole lot of money. I don't necessarily expect superior service because, let's face it, they're underpaid and overworked like I am. However, if someone does a good job, I really think it's my responsibility to let them know that yes, they are appreciated. I don't say this to say "oh hey, look at me, i'm a prince" so much as to say hey, let people know you appreciate them. you never know when it might make their day through just a sentence or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home