Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Friday, February 21, 2003

This weekend, Christopher Walken is hosting SNL. You should watch it. He's always hilarious on there, though the "Continental" recurring sketch sometimes goes on a bit too long.

Right now I am listening to a 2CD compilation that sort of chronicles some highlights from Sony-related label bands and artists over about the last 40 years. The compilation starts and ends with Dylan, so it's got my heart. There's some great stuff on here, some of it fairly obscure (like the The Remains song that has become one of my favorites and "Omaha" by Moby Grape), some of it not. Lots of "classic rock" but the comp definitely isn't bound to that ideal, thank God.
A few highlights:

"Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Dylan. Can't start a set any better. Followed by the Byrds' version of Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man."
"Why Do I Cry" by The Remains. This is THE PERFECT POP SONG. You need to hear this...it's amazing. These guys should have made it huge.
"All the Young Dudes" by Mott the Hoople. This is an anthem that sits amongst the best.
"Raw Power" by Iggy & The Stooges. You can't name a song after their sound any better.
"(Don't Fear) The Reaper," Blue Oyster Cult. "I've got a fever and the only cure is more cowbell." (from an earlier appearance by Christopher Walken on SNL)
"Surrender" by Cheap Trick. They managed to get this one really really right. Another great anthem from the period that was before hair band rock but already had the attitude.
"Paradise by the Dashboard Light," Meat Loaf. I'm not sure what it is about this, but I love it. Michial and I make it a point to listen to it every time we get together. Clever lines, operatic elements...it's great.
"Pump it Up" by Elvis Costello. I think this song takes the formula Dylan used vocally (fast stream-of-consciousness spitting out lyrics) and shows a unique way of going about it within a song.
"London Calling" by The Clash. Once again we hear perfection.
"Don't Stop Believin'," Journey. Ultimate Cheese, yet I can't lay off. By the time this song climaxes, I'm singing along a la Chris Farley and David Spade in Tommy Boy.
"No More Tears," Ozzy Osbourne. I'll admit it, I just like listening to Ozzy.
"Runaway Train," Soul Asylum. I was all about this song when it came out, and haven't ever stopped loving it. It expresses a certain emotion so brilliantly. I wish I had a buck for every time I've sung along to this song in the car.
"Black," by Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder's vocals haven't ever been better or more expressive. The music in this song fits it perfectly.
"Killing in the Name," Rage Against The Machine. So much said in one song...
"Love Sick," Bob Dylan. Proves he's still writing great songs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home