Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Sunday, February 16, 2003

"You've got to find a girl who gets the B-Side."
This said to the guy who works in the record shop from his boss, played by Art Garfunkel (!!). The record store guy, Luke, has added a great element to the American Dreams show. Luke (this being in the early 60's) is into the non-bubblegum music, jazz (like Thelonious Monk) and blues (Son House being one fake guest on the show). Anyway, he had just broken up with Meg (one of the lead characters in the show); they had agreed that they needed someone with similar interests. Whereas Luke was into the above, Meg dances on American Bandstand, is all about the bubblegum, and isn't really into much of anything deep, though she's clearly capable of it.
The reason I bring this up is not just because of the great quote, but because of the idea behind it. I need a girl who "gets the B-side." That doesn't mean she has to be a Scene Princess or Scene Girl. That doesn't mean she has to be into everything I'm into, obviously. I just need someone who gets the B-side and is going to treat me well; someone with whom there is mutual respect and who respects my spirituality.
At what point I do (and could be already), I doubt I'll talk much about it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home