Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Today's been a good day, made mostly possible through the fact that this afternoon I've been listening to Electric Prunes Fan Radio on Launch.com (http://launch.yahoo.com/ar-313929-l...Electric-Prunes), which means bands I quite enjoy like The Fugs, The Leaves, The Seeds, Blue Cheer, Blues Magoos, 13th Floor Elevators, Sagittarius, Kaleidoscope, The Pretty Things, Tommy James & the Shondells' psychedelic stuff, The Frantics, and so on. Most of it's hard to find outside the Internet, but if I ever fall into disgusting amounts of money, besides the charity stuff to relieve my conscience and buy me satisfaction, buying loads of old records of bands that fall into that psychegarageblues type will definitely be a pastime. You all probably already know I'd spend a mint on ancient folk, blues, primitive, and so on. I like to think I'm not materialistic but whether or not records get to be an exception or not, I don't know. My birthday's in less than two months, and the Nuggets boxed sets are great introductions to these bands. I've borrowed the first one from the English Dept chair at the university and loved it, so if anyone out there gets the urge to do something mindlessly philanthropic, there's your idea.Here's the part where I could go into some sort of garbled babble about how these guys were really getting the idea of the blues right, you understand, despite most of them being white except for, you know, Arthur Lee, but mixing that blues idea and sound in with something new and unique and terribly intoxicating, you understand...I was talking earlier to some friends in the feminist organization here on campus. Apparently they did some project survey and it turns out I'm the only male secretary on campus. I know a former roommate (hello, Dean) was also a male secretary here for a few months, but he's the only other one I can think of. What's funny is that I may be the only male sexretary on campus, but probably not the only bearded one. Yes, that's right, I've been growing my facial hair. It started the first time I slashed my finger Thanksgiving weekend, but once that was healed curiosity and laziness took over the party. Add to that the fact that I've not cut my hair in almost a year and you get the picture. I'm somewhere between an Orthodox monk and crazed hippie in appearance, I guess, though my face hasn't grown in terribly quickly. I've not decided what to do at what point I find job opportunities I like and find myself interviewing for one, but they should be hiring me for my skills, not for my looks, right? Sure.My African-American Novels class starts in less than 15 minutes. Should be super. S. is in some sort of Sexual Development class...she's looking at adding a Women's Studies Major in addition to her Special Education one. Anyway, part of the course's credit is dependent on community service work. The professor, who is also a nurse and midwife, will allow interested parties to help with a birthing. Of course S. is thrilled at the opportunity. She figures that she's worked jobs the last few years in which she's continually changing and cleaning any and all bodily fluids and body parts for the mentally handicapped, has had shit literally flung at her, cleaned up blood numerous times, etc...so birthing won't be any kind of huge shock. Anyway, off to class I go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home