Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Thursday, November 18, 2004

The lecture on the geographic wanderings of the Ponca Indians turned out to be fairly interesting. My body crashed (ie, I battled falling asleep) there for a bit, but only because I'd been working on various things for about 11 hours up to that point.

This morning I've gone from Starflyer 59's new EP to Scissor Sisters to Willy Mason to Talib Kweli to the Flying Burrito Brothers.

Our little student-run college radio station asked me to look through several large boxes of CDs and pick out what might be good to play. They asked me maybe a month ago and I finally found time for it last night, picking through what was left after quite a few others sifted through. I found a still-sealed copy of Leonard Cohen's Dear Heather that must have inexcusably fallen in (most of what was around was a few years old from the last time someone tried to do a radio station, I think -- this particular group has only been around since last year as far as I know). They were right, not a whole lot of good stuff left, but I found a few gems like the newer Standbye album, some Son Volt, I forget what else. Only one of the current deejays is really playing new "college rock" (see CMJ, indie rock/rap/folk) stuff but his show is worth listening to ( on www.mavradio.org from 1-3pm CST Wednesdays and Fridays). The guy is in one pretty decent (so I hear, haven't managed to check them out for myself yet) band around here and just started drumming for Kite Pilot (www.kitepilotmusic.com), at least as a fill-in. Most everyone else there is happy to work at a "college radio" station but remains stuck in the mindset that "new and edgy and alternative college radio" means Puddle of Mudd, Saliva, pop punk, Nelly, etc. If I could afford to just take classes and not work during the day, I'd be a DJ there myself but they only play during hours I work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home