Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Friday, July 02, 2004

Continued History of the Efficiency For Rent Situation

Tuesday: So the guy who was here for more than an hour and left just before 10pm last night called mid-afternoon and said he decided to go with the place he visited after Stacey's. At this point, as much as we want the apartment filled, we were kind of relieved. He had a couple situational aspects that the landlord probably wasn't going to go for and Stacey was happy to not have to even try to talk to the landlord about it. On the other hand, we spent over an hour indulging his monologues about...well, I don't remember, but he talked our ears off. If he'd have kept me away from The Daily Show I'd have been pretty annoyed. Anyway, he called at 9:45 tonight to ask if we'd talked to the landlord about his situation. I told him that no, we hadn't, we didn't see the sense in that since he'd chosen another place. I could sense him launching into another long dissertation on his computer or something so I told him thanks for calling and to have a good night. I felt nearly rude but I'm watching the Cubs, reading my old roommate's highly entertaining blog and comic, not to mention obsessively checking my email and roommates.com account.

The other person I forgot to mention earlier is "MAC," whose first message to us said he needed a place desperately and "I'm serious. I'm not joking." He sent another message later (because when he sent the first one, we still thought Raul was in line) and I called him a couple times over the weekend. He sounded (literally) like an Indian (not Native American, but from India) who was also mentally retarded. He repeatedly asked me the same questions. Typical exchange:
Joel: The rent is $325.
MAC: How much is this per person?
Joel: Well, like it says on the profile, it's an efficiency and only you would be living there unless you choose to get another roommate. It's $325 to live there.
MAC: Is that for everyone or just for one person?
Joel: Just you.
MAC: Oh.
(Silence)
Joel: So do you want to see the place?
MAC: How much is it?
Joel: $325.
MAC: Okay I call you back.

The last time I talked to him was on Sunday. He said he'd call back Monday morning but I haven't heard back. This whole thing has really brought out some of the strangest people I've ever met. My cast of characters isn't quite as colorful as Chris Estey's (look for user "ghettochicken") but I have worked at a Christian bookstore, so it's probably close.

Tuesday night:
It's around 9:45. I'm contemplating whether or not to go see MAP and a couple other bands...show won't start until after 10 sometime, and I have to work early in the morning. My phone rings. A woman named "Marquita" spastically gushes that she doesn't even need to look at the place, she wants it. The deal is that she is part of some Project Step program through the YWCA and Douglas County General Assistance where the YWCA pays her deposit and first month's rent, GA takes over after that and pays $300 of the $325. She's already been accepted and approved for the program, she says, just has to pick out a place, and she is living with someone else on GA and wants to get out of there ASAP so as to not get her friend tired of her. We get down tons of information from her and about what she needs. We'll need to talk to the Peterson Brothers Realty agent early in the morning, then the YWCA worker around 9am, then coordinate things between the two. Marquita calls a second time just to mention a couple other things. We work for a bit to help get things together. Stacey calls the agent early in the morning as planned. He says he's had some bad experience with GA recipients in the past (staying around for a month, then taking off) but is willing to give this a shot, just to help us out. Stacey goes into the YWCA office and talks to the worker there, who says she really doesn't know what the deal is with Marquita -- Marquita apparently keeps leaving messages on her voicemail but never comes in to work on things, doesn't really have a handle on what's going on. The YWCA worker says that we really shouldn't bother. Stacey calls Marquita, who had said she'd call me early (as in 8am) on the phone. Marquita isn't home, but her roommate sounds strung out and doesn't know where Marquita is. At this point Stacey just emails Randy back and tells him to do whatever he needs to do to get someone into the place, just notify us before doing anything that will cost us much...that we're sick of spending all our time, energy, and money on dead ends.

Thursday:
I correspond via email and phone with a guy named "Steve" who sounds excited about the place, but then says on-street parking is probably a no-go since he has a 2004 Grand Am he doesn't want to be messed with. I call the agent to find out if any of the garage spaces are open...they aren't, I let Steve know. We've planned that he'll drop by the apartment on his way home from work, which ends at 6. We get to Stacey's house about 6. At some point she starts working on dinner, I fall asleep, and by 7:30 we realize the guy isn't coming. I'm really curious as to why no one values or practices politeness anymore. I go home and have a terrible night of sleep thanks to others in the house, but 2 weeks from now that won't be an issue anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home