Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Friday, January 16, 2004

Okay, no about work this time around, I promise!

Instead, I'll whine about yesterday. Self-indulgence is the name of the game.

I end work at 5 and on Thursdays have a class at 6. Last night I walked out of work at 5:10 (changed my clothes for class) and discovered my tire was flat. I KNOW this is poor form, but I drove a short distance to a gas station to put air in it, grabbed a sandwich, and ran to class. I figured my tire would be flat again when I got out of class but it was fine then and this morning, so it isn't a lethal hole. I noticed that the cap to my stem on the tire is missing, so I wonder if perhaps yesterday's flatness was due to some ne'erdowells or something. Anyway, I'm in my Culture of the 60s class, tired and cranky but having a good time. My head was pounding for lack of caffeine so I figured I'd get some on the break.
The university has a contract with Pepsi and as a result sells nothing but Pepsi. I don't like Pepsi one bit but saw they have Mt. Dew Red (which is all right once in a while) and went for that. The machine wouldn't give me my soda or my money back. By that point in the day, I probably could have legally been committed. I grabbed a roll of paper towel and wrote "piece of shit stole my dollar. out of order." on it and plastered it over the machine, stuffing newspaper in the place where the bottles come out (bottle birth canal?). People looked at me like I was nuts. My second and last dollar wouldn't work in the can machine and I was a nickel short. I finally just got a bottle of water from the water/juice machine.
Today's lesson is to NOT get addicted to anything, not even caffeine.
My big idea for an Abbie Hoffman style guerilla theatre project is to get a bunch of Big K cola and products and hand them out for free at the various major vending areas at the university. On the other hand, that's money and effort toward a fairly meaningless thing to protest, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home