Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Tuesday, January 06, 2004

I've been spending more time than I probably should be on this web page. Hopefully it will all be worth it. What you see right now is most of the basic structure of the "home page" with more pages to be added later; those will be linked to from the bottom right.

I just remembered that last week sometime (I wasn't home) my roommates talked with some door-to-door Mormons and scheduled for them to come back on Tuesday. It's Tuesday and I'm the only one here, looking like white trash and very happy to be uninterrupted. I hope the poor Mormons come back another day because of the cold.

(later note: No Mormons ever showed up.)

Yesterday was a big Job Hunt day. After stopping by the University to fill out an application for a new opening in the Chancellor's Office and find out what books I'll need this semester, I took part in a group interview for some temporary positions with MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association) recruiting volunteers for a "lock-up fundraiser." 16 people, 5 positions, a 3 week project. We came from various temp agencies (such as OfficeTeam, Remedy, etc.) and met in a conference room. First we had to talk to another prospect and then tell the rest of the group about that person and his/her favorite job. The guy I "interviewed" is an MD who took a break from clinical medicine for a while, managing family farms and now looking for temp jobs before making his way back into medicine, apparently. A few of the other people there had quite a bit of experience in recruiting volunteers (the work we were all vying for) and telemarketing, so I figured my chances to be pretty slim. After the two MDA staff explained everything to us, they instructed we applicants to write a sample script to use when recruiting volunteers. After several minutes, we read them aloud. Mine impressed the MDA staff and many of the applicants (only one other got any real response). However, apparently that wasn't enough because the job started at 9 this morning and no one every called me yesterday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home