Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Monday, August 25, 2003

This past weekend was crazy/busy/great/nuts/tonsofun.

Friday night:
S. and I journeyed to Lincoln and hung out with Jason (Morehead, of Opuszine fame), Liz, Jill, and a couple others. We went to Yia-Yia's, a pizza spot in the downtown. Actually, S. and I parked by Jason's house (he lives a few blocks from the capitol building) and the three of us walked over. Anyway, the pizza was good as usual and it was a good time despite being in a noisy place.

Saturday:
We went to the Nebraska State Fair. I had never been to a state fair before and S. loves fairs, so we were pretty excited to go. She's quite a bit more into animals than I am, but a fair offers quite a few interesting things, including the animals, and we both had a great time. We wandered several hours in scorching, humid heat and it tired us out quite a bit, so we ended up sitting in a grandstand, watching part of a llama show. We also wandered around and looked at the goats. My brain got a little fried, so I forget most of the rest of the time (or perhaps just don't feel like getting into details), but we enjoyed ourselves quite a bit. Pigs are scary. Not just the cops, but the actual animals. Pigs and ostriches are perhaps the scariest creatures on earth. S. is more convinced than ever that someday we should get a goat, and llamas have now been added to the list. She also fed a giraffe.

Saturday night we drove downtown and checked out the Santa Lucia festival. It's an Italian festival here in the Big O. It was all right. A mediocre bar band was playing on a stage and we couldn't really escape them. We ate breadsticks and a funnel cake with strawberries. We were hoping to run into some pasta, but couldn't find any to be had (though I heard rumors that it did exist), but that turned out to be fine in the long run, I suppose. We also were somewhat intrigued (that's a fairly dishonest yet positive term for our feelings in regard to this) by a young lady who was wearing a bikini top and apparently had lost her sandals while turning tricks (this is only speculation) behind the meatball sandwich cart or perhaps on the ferris wheel. While the details of where all she had been are sketchy at best, she had definitely gone down the giant slip-n-slide, an inadvisable move for someone wearing see-through white shorts as she was. She kept flirting with a couple of guys who appeared to be on vacation from their usual Saturday night routine of chain-smoking and trying to pick up women in the Super Wal*Mart parking lot. S. asked me which one I thought she would go home with. I told her that I'd bet my money on "both."

Most of Saturday I'd had a pretty nasty headache. I attributed this to the fact that I hadn't had any caffeine all day and as time went on, I knew that walking around in the heat couldn't be helping. Still, we had a wonderful time and enough energy to be making fun of people even late at night at the downtown festival. We went back to her place to watch some television and have some sort of snack or something, just regular winding down stuff. However, my body decided it was just plain unhappy and I spent most of the next couple hours in her bathroom, eventually allowing my stomach to toss up whatever was causing all the discomfort. I just sort of collapsed there that night and that was that. Despite the fact that her kitten has no real concept of "sick" and therefore kept wanting to play with me, this was the best idea as my place features two steep staircases between my bed and the bathroom and hadn't been air-conditioned all day. I was exhausted and sadly, missed church the next morning, but was feeling pretty decent by the afternoon.
We took it pretty easy most of Sunday. I did some cleaning around my house and we watched the Cubs game (well, I watched while S. used the computer and took a nap I envied). Sunday night we ate breadsticks and watched the first half or so of Pulp Fiction.

And that was my weekend.

And now starts the craziness of full-time work and 3 classes each for both of us.

Tonight...my literature Beats & Hippies class. I'm excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home