Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Monday, August 02, 2004

Let's start this positively:
(1) Married life is wonderful. Stacey is better for me than anyone would probably be able to realize. Not that some people don't know me, but I myself keep finding ways she's exactly who balances me out, adds those little (and big) things that make things much better. I realize in reading this that it's probably typical schmoopy drivel, so I'll scrape a little deeper. See, I tend to be a neurotic, paranoid, self-centered person. I come off to most people as pretty laid back, but I'm terribly moody and often pretty tense. Some of this may even come off later in the post. Anyway, right now situations are pretty far from where we'd like them to be regarding various stations in life, and that's being very euphemistic and nice about things (both for brevity and just in case others at my job stumble on this)...and she's really kept me in rein, talked me down from doing stupid things, been a calming influence when I've needed it but also given me spark when needed. As selfish as I can be, I can also be lazy and sometimes need a little urging when it comes to actually taking care of myself. So there you have it, vague, somewhat euphemistic and evasive.
(2) I decided not long ago that high atop the list of authors with whom I need to become familiar is Franz Kafka. In Chicago I found a nice collection at a good price (used, at BookWorks on Clark) and am starting to read a bit here and there when I can. The short stories I've read so far have really buzzed me. I'm hoping to get to more of it as time goes on.
(3) After our Indiana reception we brought back some of the homemade breads with us...pumpkin bread, I forget what else. It's in the freezer and we eat it sometimes for breakfast. Anyway, for some reason it's really hitting the spot this morning.

Now on to other things...
(1) We're still waiting to move into our new place. Because it's undergone quite a few (quite nice, in fact) changes and remodeling and renovation it has to be inspected by various city inspectors. The plumbing inspector has come through, apparently, but the electrical and general inspectors are dawdling, it seems. We were hoping to start moving in this past weekend and were fairly frustrated that we couldn't. So many other things are leaning on this before we can take care of them...all those crazy things you have to take care of when you get married and/or move, like insurance, school stuff, auto information, utility switchovers, etc. Living in a tiny efficiency with boxes stacked everywhere (that's where we sleep) and also kind of living in my old townhouse because that's where most of my stuff and the computers are...it got old about the second day we did that, which was...a week ago. Now it's just plain driving me insane, both for obvious reasons and for what will be discussed in #2.
(2) I ran by the townhouse early this morning to burn off a disc with some files. My blank discs are nowhere to be found. I'd not used any since before the wedding but I know I had quite a few left. Granted, the area where they would be is a bit messy, but they're on a spindle and rather hard to miss. I keep them in one of two places all the time (unless they're all on top of my desk) and they're not either of those places. Realistically, I could just have bumped them somewhere while in the process of finding something else or something but...I have more than a slight suspicion that they went the same place the batteries did. The batteries irritated me, but if later tonight I can't find the discs, I'm going to be very upset. If only we could just start moving today...
(3) Rather than be vague and euphemistic, I'll just otherwise leave this one blank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home