Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Sunday, December 22, 2002

One of life's small rich luxuries is watching old reruns of The Twilight Zone on the SciFi channel between 11 and 12pm on a Sunday night. Sure, I work tomorrow, but not until 9:30 or so. I intended to get to bed fairly early, but so much is going on in my head right now that I need to write a little (albeit not even necessarily about that, just anything in general) and watch some engaging yet not overly cerebral television to ease me toward sleep time.
On a commercial break, I flip to MTV because occasionally "All Things Rock" has a decent band on. Right now they're showing some outfit called The Sums. I dig the threads: Plaid shirts, black ties, black pants (most likely Dickies) and black Chucks on the feet. Those who know me realize this sounds close to my dream set of clothes. The requisite wallet chains and various spiked hair is included, as well. Unfortunately, their music (at least this song, one I've also heard on the radio a couple times) is thin. While not exactly bland, the sound has nothing to make it any different from any number of start-up pop punk bands, save that the lead vocalist tries the rappish screamy thing (which maybe only half the aforementioned type of bands attempt to pull off).

Next time I flip back, Good Charlotte starts in on a video. I know better and flip back to SciFi immediately.

After The Twilight Zone is over, I try MTV one more time. Now some band called Audiovent is playing at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
You know...
Rock is back. I thought I'd be grateful when it came back, but I also had been hoping it would be better than this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home