Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Monday, April 25, 2005

All I really hoped for this past weekend was to work like mad getting presentations, projects and homework done for this week and next. I knew that this particular week, full of Holy Week services and such, won't present much time, and this upcoming weekend has plenty, as well...while I'll have time to work this coming weekend, I'll also be fairly exhausted. With all that in mind, I saw this past weekend as essential in taking care of multiple school-related projects.

I went to Stations of the Cross on Friday night -- Stacey didn't, having wiped herself out this past week, she was groggy and asleep on the couch when I stopped hom briefly between work and Stations -- and ran a couple errands afterward, arriving home to find that the electricity was out in the kitchen and our study room. No luck with the fusebox, but we decided to go find more fuses and just replace all of them at once. We drove to the only place open that time of night that could possibly have fuses -- the Evil Empire Mart. We also wanted to get ice to keep in our freezer and refrigerator until we could figure out the next best option for refrigerator power. The checkout clerk asked if we wanted big or small bags of ice. We figured that getting the larger size would be the American thing to do, so we paid for them at the register so we could pick them up on our way out. The ice freezer only held one size of bagged ice. We asked the two elderly women acting as "greeters" for help in finding the largest bag, and one of them (the only one to ever actually talk) flipped out, railing against the store, the checkout clerk, everyone there but us and the Holy Ghost. She said people kept asking about that and the store only had one size. She went and found a manager, who re-rang the order and told me the checkout clerk was new and didn't know what she was doing. I told her that yes, communication issues happen and if she didn't know there was only one size, and all she had to go on was the cheat sheet in front of her, I couldn't blame her for thinking there were two sizes. The manager said that things had just changed and she must be working from an old sheet. I passed this along to the greeter while thanking her for her help, and she exploded again. In her 11 years of working at Evil Empire Mart, she said, they had NEVER EVER offered more than one size of ice, and the manager was lying if she tried to blame it on the new clerk. I don't blame her for being upset...not just over the ice, but in thinking about if, if I were in my late 60s or 70s and had to stand at the doors of a --------Mart at 11pm at night, I probably wouldn't be the most patient person, either...especially after other customers had screamed and cursed at her over the ice situation, which she said they had recently done. Even in our frustrating situation, we found the whole thing more amusing than anything else. Why someone would yell at another human being (who had absolutely nothing to do with it in the first place) over something like bags of ice is really beyond me.

Saturday, then, we spent moving half the house around. My original intent was to simply move the computers and appropriate internet connection equipment into another room where the electricity works. However, moving only those things was going to create spatial issues of other sorts. I'm not the most practical person in the world but was hoping to just get the computers anywhere workable, if only for the weekend, and get things done. Not quite. Before I knew it, we'd spent the entire day moving various things around and no actual school-related work had been accomplished.
Church-related obligations kept me away from home until about 3pm on Sunday and by then, all mental energy had escaped. I did read the entire novel that's due Tuesday night, though. The rest will have to be scraped together over lunch periods and other occasional moments, I suppose. Before the weekend, I'd finally conceded that I just wouldn't be able to attend a concert I'd been looking forward to for months since the weekend before this past one wasn't as fruitful as it should have been...now I'm scrambling just to get things done, much less done well. Graduate school isn't something one should blow off, and I'm frustrated at not being able to apply as much to it as I really should be.

Between the weather changing (as in, getting quite a bit colder after a nice warm snap, then rain most of last week) and all the dust flying around in our house, I'm clogged and dull from allergies and/or a cold. Upgrade.

In our Intro to Lit. Research class, we're giving presentations on our term papers this coming week. The idea is to present us with a conference-like environment so we all must submit brief bio entries for the "host" of each session to share with everyone else. I've never written a bio for myself, other than my resume (or educational CV), just others. As much as I blather on about myself here, one would think I won't have much of a problem writing a 50-100 word bio, though I really have no idea what might actually appear on paper. Maybe I'll just have my press agent contact Chris Estey, he'll do it for a song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home