Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Friday, December 05, 2003

Thanks for the "welcome back," Miss k...

The last couple days have been steady work on reviewing a record by The Miranda Sound and doing a paper on Maxine Hong Kingston. If any of you literate types out there are reading this, check her out. She's one of the first Asian-American female authors and I'm beginning to think she's one of the great American authors of our century. Start with The Woman Warrior and go from there.

Of amusement are sound files of old 1950s sex education records. They may be of Catholic origin, because in one of them, a father tells a son that to do anything to waste the seed is a great sin. I expected him to break into a certain Monty Python song. Actually, I just found a website that describes the recordings.
Wait a minute...I just found a place someone actually posted them. Click here and Enjoy.

One more quick mention:
The Dec. 1 edition of Time magazine has a piece on Tim Burton.

Last couple days I've mostly been listening to various songs on my computer, but highlights include Christmas songs from Belle & Sebastian and Bright Eyes and The Vince Guaraldi Trio.

A new edit of what I posted yesterday:

Lovely People,

Long ago you and I and the rest made a pact
Before we were born, we promised.
Someone vowed for me.

I walked through weeds and mud
all of us drying in the sun,
ate nothing all day but long conversations
then stopped by Dairy Queen and drove to work
and threw up instead of selling books
No water, warm water, and a vanilla shake
into a white plastic basket
behind the customer service desk.


Ok, back to grinding away on my education.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home