Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Distraction of the Day: a confrontation.

At the Writing Center where I work, a student had signed up herself as having appointments for four time slots at two different times. Since each time slot is approximately half an hour, this would have given her two hours of consultation time, but we distinctly say right on the appointment book that students can only sign up for two time slots.
She had written herself in as having an appointment from 10-11 and 12-1. She didn't even show up until 11. I had to do my job, so I told her she could only sign up for two time slots. Since she's also got a history of not showing up for appointments or coming way late, I decided to throw that in while having to be the bad guy.

Joel: "Also, when you sign up for 4 time slots, it blocks students who might want to make appointments. Especially when you don't show up for the first appointment, that can --"
Student (interrupts): "I didn't skip it. I'm just here late."
Joel: "Well, an hour late." (walks away, because having to explain that an hour late when her appointment was for an hour's length is the same as not showing up would probably take a good half hour and push me closer to a stroke)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home