Distracted Blues

Distractions Galore!

Wednesday, February 05, 2003

My lunch break:
I went home.

1:15pm
Since getting back at work about half an hour ago:
I got back in the office and had someone "waiting for me." Turns out they were waiting for a job interview that I coordinated for one of the departments, but as usual I'm the contact name. I deal with getting that person set up while answering phone calls since my co-worker who backs me up has already gone to lunch.
I got into an involved phone call with our Accounting person at the campus location. She is on me about a package that just came in today, saying i need to fax her a copy of the packing list so she can reconcile it, she can't wait for me to have it delivered intercampus mail tomorrow. While she's on the phone, a prospective client for one of our departments calls and can't just tell me what they're after but has to go into a detailed, uninterruptable explanation. While trying to figure out what they need, someone else walks in and I have to deal with taking care of his situation. This involves going back to someone else's office and tell him this person is here because that person is on his phone. I go back up front and this person starts asking me questions even though I'm clearly not able to answer them.
Someone calls and again, tells me his whole situation. He needs to talk to someone who is already on his line. I offer the option of leaving a message or going "on hold" until the line is free. He asks me how long the other person will be on his phone. I can't take it any more and tell him that unfortunately, when that gentleman gets phone calls, he doesn't inform me how long they will be so I really don't have that information.

That reminds me of an earlier call today. Someone wanted to leave a message for someone else that included an email address. They tell me it's (name)(universityname).com . I ask where the "at symbol" is in that. They ask what I mean and I explain that if you just type random words, that isn't an email address, it needs an "at symbol" in there somewhere. They reply as if this is brand new information. I tell them I'm just going to assume the "at symbol" is between the name and university name. They say they guess that's right. I later (while typing this out) realize that it's probably ".edu," not ".com," but it's too late now, the message is already sent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home